- Several hours after a robbery had occurred, a person was arrested and charged with armed robbery. The defendant furnished several alibis as to where he was at the time of the armed robbery. Marlin's Special Investigations, Inc. (MSI) identified, located, and interviewed those witnesses who did not support the defendant’s alibi.
- An employee of a large corporation filed sexual and racial discrimination complaints against her supervisor. The plaintiff, who filed the complaints supported her position by laying out numerous discrimination incidents by the supervisor, that had occurred over several years. Over 70 interviews and statements from witnesses acquainted with both plaintiff and defendant were taken by MSI. The plaintiff’s complaint was not founded and the plaintiff was later discharged.
- After ten months and not getting any closer to solving a homicide of a young lady who was brutally raped and murdered, the family hired MSI. During an extensive investigation, and with assistance from the family, the media and the public, the person who murdered this young lady was identified. The identity of this person and the information obtained was given to law enforcement. The offender was eventually tried and convicted of 1st Degree Murder and was sentenced to the Iowa State Penitentiary for life, without parole.
- A personal injury involving a citizen using a small garden tractor with a plow, was removing snow from the front of his residence when a city snow plow backed over the citizen causing extensive injuries. From reconstruction of the accident, witness statements and information gathered from the victim and family members, MSI showed that the personal injury to the citizen was not caused by his actions.
- An employee of a large corporation claimed that he was unable to work due to severe lower back pain received from an on-the-job injury. This employee had been on worker’s compensation for many months before a surveillance was requested. Video was taken by MSI of the employee over a period of a couple of weeks, showing employee building a shed and constructing a 6’ high wooden fence around his residential property.
- Relatives of a man who had died after falling down a flight of stairs had requested an investigation to determine if the death was accidental or murder. This was a ten-year-old case. A family member said there was a conflict between the deceased and the owner of the building. The relative claimed that the stairway location had been changed in an attempt to hide evidence. In searching archive records/photographs, and using a professional construction company, through interviews and a Forensic Pathologist, MSI showed that the person’s death was the result of an accident.
- A high school boy was reported missing by his parents. It was learned, from the divorced parents, that their son was very gifted and knowledgeable in the computer field. No one in the missing person’s close circle of friends said they knew where their friend was, but it was evident that some of them knew. The missing person’s computers, that were located in two different cities, were sent by MSI to a laboratory where an e-mail, that had been dumped into the “trash”, was retrieved with information that eventually led to the location of the boy.
- An Iowa Corporation was persuaded to invest millions of dollars in a venture formed by shrewd international individuals. The money invested in this venutre was stolen through fraud and deception. After making unsuccessful attempts to locate and subpoena these individuals, the attorneys representing the corporation contacted MSI. Over the course of several months, all those hard to find defendants were located in Europe, Canada and from coast to coast in the U.S. Litigation was finally able to proceed in an attempt to recover the stolen money.
- A female claimed full body disability after a traffic accident and requested over One Million dollars in damages. An insurance company wanted to check her claim and had MSI conduct a surveillance. The female was observed and videotaped shopping and dining out, and was found to be a daycare provider for several very young children.
- An attorney requested MSI to conduct an asset search on the registered owner of a vehicle whose daughter was involved in a traffic accident. Instead of settling for the insurance maximum, we were able to determine the registered owner of the vehicle owned many properties and was worth millions.
- A married man with children believed his wife to be cheating. He contacted MSI to have her put under surveillance. We found she was having an affair and provided video documentation as proof. Additionally, through DNA analysis of her clothing it was confirmed she was having a sexual relationship with someone other than her husband.
- A gentleman's club reported to police that they had video of a truck deliberately ramming through the front doors of the club. Four males were identified in the truck earlier in the evening. After weeks of investigation, the police were unable to solve the crime. MSI was hired to investigate. From interviews of people present that evening it was noted that one of the four subjects had a distinctive tattoo. The photo of the subjects was taken to several tattoo artists where all four were identified. Interviews were done of the four subjects and the information given to the police department. There was an arrest and charges filed.